Emily capelet!

Sorry, but I have to gush a little: I fell in love with this capelet as soon as I saw Ysolda tweeting about it. It’s so elegant and neo-Victorian, and the attention to detail is really fantastic–the short-row shaping, the intricate cable and scalloped lace, the built-in i-cord edging around the neck. Knitted it to go with this awesome green dress, which I’m wearing to two weddings this year. I was hoping for better pictures, but the weather’s been terrible lately, so I just snapped these before I headed off to Jenny and Greg’s wedding tonight.

Pattern: Emily Capelet by Ysolda
Yarn: Lana Grossa Chiara, ~ 2.25 balls in color #21, purchased from Woolbearers.
Needles: #9s
Raveled: here.

The pattern calls for ‘heavy fingering to light worsted’ and Chiara is a DK weight (perfect, you would think), but my gauge was too fine, so I cast on 68 stitches (instead of 52) to get the same length (13″). The yarn is marvelously soft and fuzzy (it sheds a lot, but that’s okay), but I still can’t figure out what color it is. It was a pale green (so I thought) when I bought it, but as soon as I got it out of the shop and took a ball out of the bag to fondle it again in natural light, it seemed gold, not green at all. Fortunately there’s some bronze-ish beading on the bodice of this dress, so it’s complementary no matter which color it is.

And I happened to have three adorable little buttons left over from Mamacita’s 2008 Christmas present, so it’s even a bit of a make-do-and-mend.

I was chatting to Jenny’s friend Brenda at the wedding, and she said I looked like a character out of a Brontë novel. I love it!

6 Comments to Emily capelet!

1. Person hinter den Worten's Gravatar Person hinter den Worten
    October 18, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Really beautiful! 🙂

October 18, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

You look AWESOME in that dress and the capelet looks great (much less stuffy than I would imagine a Bronte sister to look hehe)!

3. Emily's Gravatar Emily
    October 18, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

This looks super-cute! I love that pattern, and the dress looks gorgeous as well.

4. Maggie, Dammit's Gravatar Maggie, Dammit
    October 20, 2009 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

That is so gorgeous, and so elegant.

I stopped knitting when my youngest kid started moving. Every day I think about taking it up again–but I never made anything that looked like that. Wow.

5. Susan's Gravatar Susan
    October 21, 2009 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Stunning!!

6. Angela's Gravatar Angela
    October 22, 2009 at 2:33 am | Permalink

wow, did your dress and capelet upstage the bride?