Welcome to Babyville, part 2

I’m home! Been anxious to blog about this:

It’s a zig-zag quilt, directions courtesy of Purl SoHo, measuring 40″ x by 54″ because I didn’t want the baby to grow out of it right away (the sample quilt measures 32″ by 44″).

Ailbhe and Christian want to be surprised, which made choosing colors and fabrics slightly more challenging. Nothing too flowery, but I didn’t want something too overtly boyish either. (I couldn’t see giving the orange-and-blue Purl sample quilt to a little girl, for instance.)

I found this thoroughly adorable Alexander Henry owl fabric for the backing (from Fabric Worm on Etsy), and I think it’s perfectly unisex. (This is what I told my mother, who was surprised to learn that owls are hermaphrodites.) (Edit: this was a really dumb joke!)

I chose the zig-zag colors to match the backing fabric, and decided that using salmon (it’s not pink!) and blue would balance each other out. The fabrics are mostly fat quarters from Jo-Ann, though I did pick up two of the three salmon fabrics (and the quilt batting) from Purl SoHo while I was in New York. I used this handy tutorial to help with the binding.

It’s not perfect, but it’s only the second quilt I’ve made–this project was definitely an exercise in anti-perfectionism. I’d never have finished it in time otherwise! There are definitely more quilts in my future…

Oh, and here’s the baby heffalump with his sweater vest.

His name is Edmund (pending baby’s approval).

7 Comments to Welcome to Babyville, part 2

January 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Owls are hermaphrodites?! Well you really do learn something new everyday.

Stop being so hard on yourself. It was perfect and absolutely beautiful!

2. Emily's Gravatar Emily
    January 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Beautiful quilt! The baby's eyes will love the contrast of the white with the bold colors. Really nicely done. Edmund is adorable too! Although my main association with that name is the evil brother from Lear. 😉

3. Jenny's Gravatar Jenny
    January 21, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

The quilt is gorgeous but I've been completely distracted by the statement that owls are hermaphrodites… No wonder your mother was surprised, I think the owls would be too if they were told!
    Hope you got home safe and sound and enjoyed your last couple of days in Ireland.

4. Camille's Gravatar Camille
    January 21, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Oops…that bit about owls being hermaphrodites was a joke! A rather poor one, apparently. :}

5. Susan's Gravatar Susan
    January 21, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Let's hope the poor owls don't get the right to sue before the statute of limitations runs out. (Sorry, poor lawyer's joke). I love the quilt and will miss seeing it around the house as a work in progress. I never did know which room I would spot it in next. I like Edmund very much.

6. Pare's Gravatar Pare
    January 22, 2010 at 1:02 am | Permalink

OHMYGOD you were so right; Edmund vest takes everything to the next level. I want to squeeeeeze him.

Oh and the quilt is nice too. 🙂

(Welcome home!)

7. Ailbhe Slevin's Gravatar Ailbhe Slevin
    January 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

I never saw this post! Cóilín LOVES the owls, he sits in his cot and points at them, stroking each one and chatting to them. And I disagree with your comment that it isn’t perfect. It is COMPLETELY perfect.
    I have visions of him demanding to be allowed drag it downstairs when he’s older, to snuggle up under it while watching Saturday morning tv – and I suppose I’ll just have to let him!